A message from Superintendent Charles Smialek, Ph.D.
June 10, 2019
We hope that you are enjoying a positive start to your summer!
Despite the onset of our summer months, we are still working toward our goal of increasing transparency throughout our communities. To help us achieve this end, we will again hold summer Town Hall Meetings. At these, we will update you on our achievement indicators to the extent we will have information from the Ohio Department of Education. We will also respond to questions that you have about our schools and district. This is the schedule of meetings this summer:
- Wednesday, July 17: Town Hall at Parma Branch Library (Powers) 6:30 PM
- Saturday, July 27: Town Hall at Parma Heights Branch Library, 10:00 AM
Then, we also invite you to join us next fall as we resume our Master Planning for Strategic Consolidation meetings. This spring allowed us to introduce the parameters of our efforts and listen to the feedback of the hundreds of participants who came to learn and share their perspectives.
We have also collected over 400 responses to our online survey and are in the process of collating these. We will post the summaries of all results on our website this summer.
In the fall, we will present to you specific options for the “right sizing” of our facility portfolio. Please make note of this schedule and plan to attend a session that is convenient to you.
- Tuesday, September 3, 6:30 PM: Green Valley Elementary
- Monday, September 16, 6:30 PM: Pleasant Valley Elementary
- Monday, September 30, 6:30 PM: Thoreau Park Elementary
- Saturday, October 5, 10:00 AM: Parma Heights Branch Library
- Monday, October 14, 6:30 PM: Greenbriar Middle School
- Monday, October 28, 6:30 PM: Hillside Middle School
- Monday, November 4, 6:30 PM: Shiloh Middle School
- Saturday, November 9, 10:00 AM: Parma-Snow Branch Library
- Monday, November 18, 6:30 PM: Valley Forge High School
- Monday, December 2, 6:30 PM: Parma Senior High School
- Monday, December 9, 6:30 PM: Normandy High School
- Saturday, December 14, 10:00 AM: Parma Branch Library (Powers Blvd.)
We aim to have a consensus plan by the end of 2019. Then, we will campaign for a bond issue in 2020 that will combine with money from the Ohio Facilities Construction Commission to fund the construction new schools.
It is, indeed, an exciting time to be a part of our school district and we invite you to participate as often as you can in this process that will shape our communities’ future for generations to come!
Have a great summer!