A message from Superintendent Charles Smialek, Ph.D.
December 17, 2018
Happy Holidays! We wish all of our students, families, staff members and community friends the best the season can bring to you and yours!
We hope that you will make many great memories over the next two weeks. We look ahead with a sense of hope for a positive 2019 during which we can continue to grow together to improve our schools for all that we serve!
In looking ahead to 2019, we are excited to announce our Master Planning for Strategic Consolidation meeting schedule. We will use this process to seek input from our communities about how best to “right size” our district. Our partners from GPD Group (gpdgroup.com) will structure the input sessions around the following questions:
- What should your child’s school(s) look like? Include?
- What is the district doing well? What could the district improve?
- Strengths and weaknesses of our current school facilities?
- Share your perspectives on...
- Curricular and extra-curricular options?
- Transitions in a student’s K-12 progression?
- Tradition and pride of our three high schools?
- Walking distance for our elementary students?
- The ability to have a wide spectrum of LREs at each site?
- Maintaining some presence in all three cities?
- What grade levels are important to keep together? Separate?
- What partnerships could we create?
We will follow this schedule. Importantly, you do not need to attend more than one meeting per phase as they will consist of the same content, only in different locations. We encourage you to select the evening or day that works best for your schedule.
Phase One: Elementary Schools
Monday, January 14: Parma Park (6:30 P)
Monday, January 28: Dentzler (6:30 P)
Monday, February 11: Ridge-Brook (6:30 P)
Saturday, February 16: Parma Powers Branch Library (10:00 A)
Phase Two: Middle Schools
Monday, February 25: Shiloh (6:30 P)
Monday, March 11: Hillside (6:30 P)
Monday, March 25: Greenbriar (6:30 P)
Saturday, March 30: Parma Heights Library (10:00 A)
Phase Three: High Schools
Monday, April 8: Normandy (6:30 P)
Monday, April 29: PSH (6:30 P)
Monday, May 13: Valley Forge (6:30 P)
Saturday, May 18: Parma Snow Branch Library (1:30 P)
We are excited to begin this process that should shape the structure of our district for decades to come. We hope you will join us!