Request To Be Heard Form
Please read Parma City School District Board of Education Policy regarding Public Participation at Board Meetings. "Request To Be Heard Forms" can be downloaded below.
Download and completely fill out the "Request To Be Heard" form. Completed forms must only be submitted to the Board secretary prior to the start of a Board of Education meeting. Completed "Request To Be Heard" forms will not be accepted over email and will only be accepted at Board of Education meetings.
Public Participation at Board Meetings
The Board of Education recognizes the value to school governance of public comment on educational issues and the importance of allowing members of the public to express themselves on school matters of community interest.
The presiding officer of each Board meeting at which public participation is permitted shall administer the rules of the Board for its conduct.
The presiding officer shall be guided by the following rules:
A. Public participation shall be permitted as indicated on the order of business.
B. Anyone having a legitimate interest in the actions of the Board may participate during the public portion of a meeting.
C. Attendees must register their intention to participate in the public portion of the meeting prior to the start of the meeting.
D. Participants must be recognized by the presiding officer and will be requested to preface their comments by an announcement of their name, address, and group affiliation, if and when appropriate.
E. Each statement made by a participant shall be limited to three (3) minutes duration, unless extended by the presiding officer And must pertain to the items on the meeting agenda.
F. No participant may speak more than once on the same topic unless permission is granted by the presiding officer.
G. All statements shall be directed to the presiding officer; no person may address or question Board members, Or officers of the Board, individually. Once this protocol has been breached, the participant will forfeit their remaining allotted time to speak.
H. A request to the President must be made for any taping, audio or videos, of any Board meeting prior to the Board meeting to review possible placement of the equipment, and must agree to abide by the following conditions:
1. No obstructions are created between the Board and the audience.
2. No interviews are conducted in the meeting room while the Board is in session.
3. No commentary, adjustment of equipment, or positioning of operators is made that would distract either the Board or members of the audience while the Board is in session and not disrupt the meeting.
I. The presiding officer may:
1. prohibit public comments that are frivolous, repetitive, and/or harassing;
2. interrupt, warn, or terminate a participant's statement when the statement is too lengthy, personally directed, abusive, off-topic, antagonistic, obscene, or irrelevant;
3. request any individual to leave the meeting when that person does not observe reasonable decorum;
4. request the assistance of law enforcement officers in the removal of a disorderly person when that person's conduct interferes with the orderly progress of the meeting;
5. call for a recess or an adjournment to another time when the lack of public decorum so interferes with the orderly conduct of the meeting as to warrant such action;
6. waive these rules with the approval of the Board when necessary for the protection of privacy or the administration of the Board's business.
The portion of the meeting during which the participation of the public is invited shall be limited to thirty (30), unless extended by a vote of the Board.
J. The public may ask questions, express concerns, or make statements on non-agenda topics in writing by using the form provided. Answers will be provided within 72 hours, or if necessary, at the next scheduled Board meeting. Forms may be filled our either prior to or during the meeting.
Adoption Date November 17, 1997
Adopted as Amended May 5, 2003
© Neola 2016