- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon Active Dry Yeast
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup minced onions
- 5 cups All-Purpose Flour, or more if needed
- 3 tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped Rosemary
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tablespoon Kosher Salt
1. Dissolve honey in the warm water in a large bowl, then sprinkle yeast over the top. Whisk until the yeast is well dissolved. Let stand for 5 minutes until the yeast begins to form.
2. Stir in 1 tablespoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of olive oil into the yeast mixture.
3. In a large bowl add the onions, and 5 cups of flour. Add the yeast mixture and mix until the dough begins to come together.
4. Turn dough out onto a well flowered surface and kneed until the dough is smooth and elastic, about five minutes.
5. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 20 minutes.
6. Preheat over to 415 degrees F.
7. Move the dough onto oiled baking sheet (use shortening for this) and flatten to cover the whole sheet evenly. Use the tips of your fingers to make indentations all over the dough space about 1 inch apart. Drizzle the focaccia with 3 tablespoons olive oil, the sprinkle rosemary, Parmesan cheese and remaining 1 tablespoon of kosher salt over the top. Let rise for an additional 10 minutes.
8. Bake in preheated oven 20 minutes or until golden brown.