Athletic Eligibility - Scholastic
The rules contained in the current Ohio High School Athletic Association Constitution and Bylaws pertaining to eligibility, shall be adhered to by all secondary schools within the Parma City School District.
1. In order to be eligible for athletic competition the next marking period, a student in grades 9-12 will need to receive passing grades during the current grading period in subjects that total a minimum of 1 and 1/4 units of credit.
- NOTE: Year and semester courses earn 1/4 credit per making period. (Exceptions: Courses that earn 1/4 credit for the semester earn 1/8 credit per marking period.)
3. A student enrolling in the seventh (7th) grade for the first time will be eligible for the first grading period regardless of previous academic achievement. Therefore, in order to be eligible, a student in grade 7 or 8 must be currently enrolled and must have been enrolled in school immediately preceding a grading period and received passing grades during that grading period in 75% of those subjects carried the preceding grading period in which the student was enrolled.
4. The eligibility or ineligibility of a student continues until the start of the fifth (5th) school day of the next grading period at which time the immediately preceding grading period grades become applicable. Exception: Eligibility or ineligibility for the 1st grading period commences with the start of the fall sports seasons.
5. Summer school grades earned may not be used to substitute for failing grades from the last grading period of the regular school year.
6. One of the primary goals of the Parma City School District is to assist in the development of the total individual. To achieve this end, the Parma City School District offers not only a rigorous academic program to develop young minds, but also a varied and a comprehensive array for extra-curricular activities to develop a well-rounded individual.
To encourage participation and to contribute to the well-being of students through interscholastic activities, the rules contained in the current Ohio High School Athletic Association Constitution and Bylaws shall be the standards adhered to by the Parma Board of Education. In addition to the OHSAA policy, a Parma City School student athlete must adhere to the following requirement:Middle School Grades 7-8High School Grades 9-12
- A student must have maintained a 1.0 GPA the preceding marking period.
- A student must have maintained the following GPA the preceding marking period:
Grade 9 (First and Second Semesters) - 1.0 GPA
Grade 10 (Third and Fourth Semesters) - 1.25 GPA
Grade 11-12 (Fifth through Eighth Semesters) - 1.5 GPA
The only determining factor for full scholastic eligibility are the above listed requirements.