Safety Tips for Walkers
Please make sure your children know and follow these rules when walking or riding a bike to school:
- Always try to bring a friend when walking or riding your bike to and from school.
- Try to stay with a group if you are waiting for the school bus.
- If someone you don’t know or feel comfortable with offers you a ride, say NO.
- If someone you don’t know or trust follows you on foot, get away from him or her as fast as you can. If someone follows you in a car, turn around and go the other way.
- If someone tries to take you somewhere, quickly get away and YELL.
- Never leave school with someone you don’t know.
- Don’t wear clothes with your name on the outside. If someone calls you by name and you don’t know them, DON’T BE FOOLED!
- If you want to change your plans after school, check with your parents first.
- If you go home alone after school, check to see that everything is okay before going in the house. Once inside call your parents to let them know you are OK.
- Trust your feelings. If someone makes you feel scared or uncomfortable, get away and tell a trusted adult.
ALSO, after you get away from the person whom you don’t feel comfortable with, try to remember what they looked like and what they were wearing. If a car was involved, try to remember the color, type and license plate number.