What Happened at the May 15, 2015 C/B/S Partnership Meeting?
The Community/Business/Schools Partnership met on May 15, 2015 at the UH Parma Health Education Center from 8:00-9:30am. Our sincere appreciation to UH Parma Medical Center for providing a delicious continental breakfast for attendees!
Opening ceremonies, including posting of the colors and pledge of allegiance, were led by VFW Post 7609 and American Legion Post 572.
Co-Facilitators Erin Gadd, PCSD Director of Public Relations, and Kristen Plageman, PCSD Director of Career and Technical Education, welcomed 50 attendees, representing parents, volunteers, business leaders, students, and school personnel.
Several of our high school students enrolled in the district's Career and Technical Education programs shared their experiences, and how they benefited from C/B/S involvement. Special thanks to Erin McDonough (Allied Health), Kimmie Lessick (Therapies) Amber Murdock (CMM), Kathryn Steiger (CMM), and Justin Mussara (DECA) for sharing their stories with the partnership!
- Axelrod Buick GMC is hosting the Drive for Schools fundraising event on Sunday, May 31 from 9:00-1:00pm at Byers Field. Axelrod will donate $20 for every individual 21+ years who test drives a Buick that day!
- The Cleveland Indians is working with our schools to host a "PCSD Night at the Ballpark" this summer for students, families, and staff. Stay tuned for details!
- The Cuyahoga County Public Library is teaming with the PCSD for President Obama's "ConnectED Library Challenge" in which every PCSD student will have his/her own library card.
- The Shoppes at Parma is hosting a Partner Appreciation event on May 21st at 11:00 near J.C. Penny's. Partners will sign a banner of support, learn about STEM learning, and engage in a hands-on activity with fourth graders!
- Tri-C is hosting the STEM Capstone Gala for students in grades K-4 on Thursday, May 29th starting at 11:00.
- UH Parma and Avalon Jewelers are both hosting student art shows this month. Be sure to stop in and see our students are capable of!
- We Want Your Feedback!
Partners are reminded to provide feedback through the C/B/S Partnership survey. Your feedback will help inform the future of the partnership, including when and how often the group meets, how to best communicate with you, and more. Take the survey at this link: https://www.research.net/s/S2ZCGG5
C/B/S at Work for Students!
- The Welsh Miller Financial Group of Ameriprise Financial hosted more than 80 teachers and staff members from Valley Forge, Parma Senior, Normandy and Renwood for a teacher appreciation event on May 8th.
- West Creek Conservancy hosted 120 students from Normandy on May 9th for the annual clean-up event called "River Sweep". The students removed litter and trash, including many shopping carts, from West Creek. The students were treated to pizza and donuts. They received extra credit from their Biology teachers. Everyone left at noon with a sense of accomplishment!
- Parma Area Kiwanis celebrated 2 milestones this year: 100th anniversary of Kiwanis International, and 15 years hosting Sundae Bars at Ridge-Brook Elementary, serving more than 10,400 ice cream sundaes, shaking hands with students and presenting them with certificates for being a "Terrific Kid" for exhibiting good citizenship.
- Kiwanis also presented 2 college scholarships to students from Normandy and Valley Forge. They've volunteered at the Parma Area Family Collaborative unloading food trucks every month, and expediting the donation of a full size air hockey table. Last week they distributed more than 400 CHAD identification stickers and balloons at the Safety Fair for car seat and bike helmet safety.
- Bob Gillingham of Gillingham Ford just completed a 5-day complimentary investing course with Valley Forge DECA classes. He has taught classes at Polaris Career Center and the Medina County Career Center as well. Mr. Gillingham has now completed more than 100 financial literacy classes with students in northeast Ohio.
THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO!
Erin Gadd & Kristen Plageman